This delicious and hearty vegan soup is great in any season.
Write a review
- 1 TBSP coconut oil (I love the flavor of coconut oil in this dish, but a neutral vegetable oil, butter or margarine will work as well.)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 small granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalepeno, minced (exclude seeds and membrane of pepper for a less spicy soup)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (depending on taste)
- 2 inch knob of ginger, grated
- 1 TBSP curry powder
- 1/2 TSP cumin
- 1/2 TSP garam masala
- 11/2 cups red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth**
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes or white rice*(optional)
- 1/2 cup lite or full-fat coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro and red onion for garnish
- Heat coconut oil on medium heat and add carrot, onion, celery, apple and jalepeno.
- Sweat vegetables for 5-10 minutes until starting to soften, then add a generous pinch of salt, garlic, ginger, curry, cumin and garam masala. Cook for another 2 minutes until spices are fragrant.
- Add lentils and vegetable broth, stir to combine, and bring to a low boil.
- Add rice or coconut flakes (if using).
- Cover and simmer for 40 minutes until vegetables and lentils are soft.
- If you like a smoother texture, puree soup using an immersion blender, food processor or blender.
- Garnish with cllantro and red onion and serve.
- *I prefer long grain white rice or basmati rice in this dish
- **I like Better Than Boullion No Chicken Base
- Peel and freeze ginger for storage and easier grating. When fresh ginger is needed, remove ginger from freezer and grate using microplane or fine box grater