Italian Wedding Soup (Vegan)
This is a delicious and hearty soup. Meat eaters and vegetarians alike will love this comforting soup. Leftovers freeze well.
- 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot finely diced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 1 TSP fennel salt or regular salt
- 1 TSP cracked black pepper
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 2 TSP dried oregano
- 1 TSP dried marjarom
- 1/2 TSP crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup Isreali couscous
- 12-15 meatless meatballs*
- 1 bunch spinach carefully washed
- 2 TBSP parsley chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon optional
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery and sweat vegetables until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper and sautee for another minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then add oregano, marjoram, red pepper flakes, couscous and meatballs.
- Return to a boil and boil for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add spinach, parsley and lemon.
- Serve immediately.
*I like Trader Joes or Nates meatless meatballs.