In my opinion, this is the perfect brunch dish. Hearty and savory, this dish has everything I’m looking for in brunch. The waffle is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside and lightly flavored of corn and jalapeno . On top, “refried” black beans, a fried egg, pico de gallo, avocado, and lime crema. Delicious.
Jalapeno Corn Waffle with Mexican Toppings
For Corn Waffles
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 TBSP minced jalapeno
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray for waffle iron
- Preheat waffle iron per manufacturer's instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- Add egg, oil, buttermilk, jalapeno, cheese and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
- Spray heated waffle iron with cooking spray and pour 1/2 cup of batter into iron and cook until golden brown; repeat until all batter has been used. (Note: Depending on the size of your waffle maker, you may need to use more or less batter per waffle)
- Top waffle with refried beans, fried egg, pico de gallo, avocado, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.