These little beauties are crowd pleasers. Perfect for this time of year, they sing with the flavors of spring. Using prepared pasta sheets instead of making your own pasta makes these pretty simple to prepare. Of course you could always make your own pasta for these if you have the time and inclination.
You do have to be careful in your prep for these. You can’t break the yolks. They need to be intact when you put them into the ricotta “well”. The good news is that you only need to make one per person. These are LARGE ravioli. My husband calls them “gigantoli” and asked to be given credit for coining that term in this post. However, I later came up with “gianteggoli” and am not going to credit him with that little piece of genius. 🙂
You could make these even more beautiful by cutting the pasta sheets into circles instead of leaving it rectangular.
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 5-6 leaves basil, torn into small pieces
- 1 TBSP chopped dill
- 1 TBSP lemon juice plus zest of one lemon, divided
- 4 sheets fresh pasta
- 4 egg yolks plus one egg white
- 3 TBSP olive oil or melted butter or margarine (divided)
- salt and pepper
- grated or shaved parmesan for garnish (optional)
- Combine ricotta, garlic, basil, dill, lemon juice, and zest from 1/2 lemon, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Lay pasta sheets flat and place 1/4 cup of ricotta on one side of the sheet, forming a well for the yolk.
- Carefully place egg yolk in ricotta well and fold pasta sheet in half to cover yolk and ricotta.
- Wet the open sides of the pasta with egg white and press firmly to seal.
- Heat a large pot of salted water to a gentle boil.
- Using a large slotted spoon or spyder, carefully lower one ravioli into water and allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, use slotted spoon to remove the ravioli from the water and place directly onto a plate.
- Complete 2 minute cooking process with remaining 3 ravioli.
- Drizzle cooked ravioli with oil or melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with lemon zest and optional parmesan.
- Serve with asparagus.