Roasted Beet Salad
I love beets. Sometimes I grate them raw into salads, but my favorite way to prepare them is to oven-roast them and toss them into a salad with some nuts and cheese or tofu.
Write a review
- 3 medium beets, oven roasted*, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1 small head of red leaf lettuce (or you could use mixed baby greens, butter lettuce, whatever you like)
- 1/2 cup of pistachios (or pecans, or candied walnuts)
- 1/2 cup of crumbled goat cheese (or blue cheese, or firm tofu)
- ~8 leaves of basil, torn
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 TSP dijon mustard
- 1 TSP garlic or shallot, minced (optional)
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until combined.
- Combine salad ingredients and toss with dresssing.
- *To roast beets, cut off the top of each beet and place on a large piece of foil. Top beets with 1 TSP of olive oil, salt and pepper and wrap tightly with the foil. Place foil-wrapped beets on baking sheet and bake at 425 for ~45 minutes or until tender and easy to pierce with a knife. Remove from oven and allow to cool still wrapped in foil (this will assist with steaming the skin and making it easier to remove).