Summer Lettuce Soup
This simple, light soup is the essence of summer. It's great served hot, cold, or room temperature. I sometimes make this when I have lettuce in the fridge and I'm heading out of town. The soup freezes well, so you can have a taste of summer any time of year.
Write a review
- 2 TBSP Earth Balance, margirine or butter
- 1 large head Romaine Lettuce, ribs and leaves separated and chopped
- 1 leek or spring onion halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cashew cream, milk, or cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- parsley or dill for garnish
- Heat Earth Balance on medium high heat
- Add lettuce ribs and leek and cook until softened
- Add vegetable broth and lettuce leaves, salt and pepper and reduce heat to low.
- Cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool slightly and add cream and lemon juice.
- Puree soup and serve at the temperature of your choosing garnished with parsley or dill.