This is a delicious and eye-catching dish that is a great holiday side or vegetarian main course.
- ~4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 TBSP margarine butter or olive oil (I like Earth Balance)
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 cup of arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigo
- 1 large or two small beets, peeled and grated
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh dill plus additional dill sprigs for garnish
- salt and pepper
- crumbled goat cheese
- horseradish cream made by combining 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1 TBSP prepared horseradish
Heat broth in a medium saucepan on low heat until simmering.
Heat margarine or oil on medium heat in a large pot or dutch oven.
Add onion and garlic and cook untill vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes.
Add rice to vegetables and stir to coat rice with fat and lightly toast rice, about 2 minutes.
Add wine to deglaze pan and cook, stirring often, until it is mostly absorbed into the rice.
Add beets and stir to combine.
Reduce heat to medium low and add one ladle of hot broth to rice and beet mixture and cook and stir until liquid is mostly absorbed.
Continue to add broth, one ladle at a time, stirring frequently, until rice is cooked to "al dente". The rice should be creamy, yet provide resistance to the tooth and not be mushy.
Remove risotto from heat and stir in dill.
Serve immediately with optional garnishes (if using).