Okonomiyaki is a popular Japanese street food consisting of cabbage, egg, and other various items like meat, fish, even yakisoba noodles. The word “okonomiyaki” means “grilled as you like it”, indicating that you can put virtually anything in these pancakes, sometimes referred to as Japanese pizza. This recipes is a simple, vegetarian version of the dish (if you leave out the bonito flakes).
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3 scallions finely chopped
- 1 whole egg plus one egg white
- splash of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- splash of peanut oil for frying
- sriracha mayo*
- teriyaki sauce
- bonito flakes
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl and mix in soy or Worcestershire sauce.
- Add cabbage, scallions and panko and mix together to combine.
- Heat peanut oil on medium high heat and add cabbage mixture, shaping the mixture into a large flat disk.
- Cook mixture for 3 minutes, then carefully flip, using a large spatula sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Cook for another 2 minutes, then slide onto serving plate and garnish as desired.